Please read the below statements and criteria before nominating anyone to make sure they fit the mold.
Statement of Purpose
The Southern Vermont College Athletic Hall of Fame was established by the College’s athletic department in 1993. The Hall of Fame provides a means by which to recognize the efforts and achievements of various athletes, coaches, teams, and contributors to Southern Vermont College athletics while reinforcing a sense of history and tradition at the College.
A selection committee will meet annually to consider nominations for induction into the Hall of Fame. This committee should consist of individuals from the College community with knowledge of and interest in intercollegiate athletics, to include the College’s sports information director, senior woman administrator, an active coach, a faculty member, and the director of alumni relations. Consequently the selection committee will consist of a minimum of five individuals, to always include at least one male and one female member. An additional option to the selection committee is to include an outsider of Southern Vermont College, i.e. the local sports editor, director of athletics at a local high school, and so on.
I. Student-athletes to be considered on the basis of undergraduate athletic achievement must:
- be a graduate of Southern Vermont College/Saint Joseph College (1926-1974)
- have a nomination submitted on their behalf detailing their athletic accomplishments
- have graduated five years ago
- have participated for a minimum of two years on at least one varsity team and,
- have represented Southern Vermont College in a positive fashion both as an undergraduate and as an alumnus.
II. Coaches, administrators, and special supporters of Southern Vermont College are also eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame, if they:
- have a nomination submitted on their behalf detailing the specific nature of their contribution to Southern Vermont College athletics, and
- have conducted themselves in a fashion such as to bring credit to Southern Vermont College for a minimum for ten years.
III. Respected Southern Vermont College alumni who bring favor to their alma mater by achieving success in areas relating to athletics as alumni are eligible for induction consideration five years after their graduation, providing that the selection committee receives appropriate nominations detailing the candidates' achievements as alumni.
IV. Deceased contributors to Southern Vermont College athletics are also eligible to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
V. An athletic team is eligible for induction as a unit. The induction of a team does not prohibit the separate induction of one or more of its members. If a team is inducted, the Hall of Fame committee will select a representative to accept the award.
VI. There will be no minimum number placed on the number of inductions allowed per year; however, there shall be a maximum of five nominations accepted for entry into the Hall of Fame per year.